20 REASONS TO CALL ME A "LIBERAL"
1. The thought of living in the Bible Belt freaks me out.
2. I am not always proud to be an American.
3. I tend to vote for Democrats in state and national elections.
4. I enjoy listening to NPR on a regular basis.
5. I believe government agencies and publicly funded non-profit organizations have a significant role to play in preventing and alleviating poverty.
6. I believe human-induced climate change is not only real, but will have significant impacts if not mitigated by reducing emissions, hitting the poor the hardest.
7. I believe our nation urgently needs comprehensive reform in both health care and immigration policy.
8. I am morally opposed to preemptive war.
9. I am against the use of state-sponsored torture (including waterboarding).
10. I am opposed to capital punishment.
11. I believe there is great value in inter-religious dialogue and ecumenical collaboration for the common good.
12. When it comes to Christian political punditry, I'm more sympathetic to the Jim & Tony of the evangelical left (Wallis & Campolo) than the Jim & Tony of the evangelical right (Dobson & Perkins).
13. I believe the earth is (a lot) more than 10,000 years old.
14. I'm more likely to purchase books published by InterVarsity Press than Crossway.
15. I believe Scripture teaches that God calls and gifts women to serve at every level of church ministry leadership.
16. On the international front, I believe issues such as human trafficking, clean water/sanitation, food security, fair trade and debt cancellation deserve our attention.
17. I support the UN's Millennium Development Goals, which include halving extreme poverty and global disease by the year 2015.
18. I believe gays and lesbians should be allowed to serve openly in the U.S. military.
19. I believe gays and lesbians should be legally protected against hate crimes committed on the basis of their sexual orientation.
20. On gun control, organized labor, energy independence and tax policy, my views tend to be left of center.
1. The thought of sending my kids to public school freaks me out.
2. I consider it a blessing and a privilege to be an American citizen.
3. I believe it's a good idea to abstain from sex outside of marriage (teenagers and grown-ups alike).
4. I am very concerned about the effects of Hollywood, MTV and video games on children.
5. I am opposed to physician-assisted suicide.
6. I am opposed to the legalization of marijuana use.
7. I am opposed to embryonic stem-cell research.
8. Like all forms of domestic violence, I believe abortion is a tragic and immoral.
9. I believe there really is such a thing as absolute Truth with a capital 'T.'
10. I do not believe all religions are different paths to the same destination.
13. I believe Scripture teaches that marriage is a lifelong, monogamous covenant between a man and a woman.
19. I have been known to lift my hands and act "shallow and emotional" while singing modern praise and worship choruses.
20. I'd rather spend money on a David Crowder concert than attend a free lecture by Phyllis Tickle (true story). Christian rock trumps mainline Protestant intellectualism once again.