June 13, 2008

This Is My Father's World: Reflections on a Hymn

Don't ask me to choose a side in the tiresome "worship wars" between 'traditional' and 'contemporary' church music. I've heard all the arguments and I think we need both old and new. Sure, I'll concede that hymns are not trendy or seeker-sensitive. They often employ awkward phrases like "here I raise my Ebenezer" and "thine eye diffused a quick'ning ray." Most hymns don't always lend themselves well to 4/4 time signatures or video projection screens.

But the older I get, the more I appreciate the 'old school' hymns as expressions of essential truth about God's nature. One of my favorite hymns is "This is my Father's World", originally written as a poem by a pastor from upstate New York named Maltbie D. Babcock (pictured at left). Rev. Babcock is said to have been an avid hiker who was inspired by his walks in the woods near Lake Ontario to write "This is my Father's world", which became a hymn when it was set to music after his death in 1901.

So what's so great about this hymn? It doesn't have the name recognition of classics like "Amazing Grace" or "Holy, Holy, Holy." It has not been modernized and adapted for guitar and drums the way that say, "Come Thou Fount" or "When I Survey" have been David Crowder and Chris Tomlin-ized in recent years. The melody to "This Is My Father's World" is not particularly unique or memorable, just standard hymn fare if you ask me. I don't think you can buy a minus-one performance track edition at your local Christian bookstore (never say never). There's nothing about it that screams "special music" or "hit single." Even so, I have yet to come across any other song, ancient or modern, (outside of the Scriptures of course) that so perfectly describes the balance and tension between the "already" and the "not yet" of God's rule as King of creation. Babcock's words refuse to take sides in the false dichotomy that entangles so much of Christendom these days: the promise of a heaven "up there" vs. the imperative to bring about a heaven "down here."

With that balance in mind, I would like to reflect on some of the most poignant phrases found in the words of this beloved hymn. I have included the full lyrics so you can sing along if you wish!

Verse 1:
This is my Father's world, and to my list'ning ears
All nature sings, and round me rings the music of the spheres.
This is my Father's world! I rest me in the thought
Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas- His hand the wonders wrought.


"All nature sings, and round me rings the music of the spheres" God is an artist, a musician. His music fills the universe. The great "spheres" of sun, moon and planets display his artistry in motion. In creation, we will always discover Him conducting a majestic concerto as long as we have the "listening ears" required to hear it. The music sung by nature points to the creativity, imagination and originality of the Creator. It's fascinating to think that these words were written 100 years before evangelical environmentalists coined the language of "creation care" and "stewardship" of the Earth's resources.

Verse 2:
This is my Father’s world- the birds their carols raise;
The morning light, the lily white, declare their Maker’s praise.
This is my Father’s world! He shines in all that’s fair;
In the rustling grass I hear Him pass- He speaks to me ev'rywhere.


"He shines in all that's fair" Given that this hymn was written in 100+ years ago, I'll assume that the word "fair" is being used here as a synonym for "beautiful" or "pleasing in appearance." Anything that we find to be truly beautiful is reflecting something of the Divine. All truth is God's truth. Richard Mouw's excellent book of the same title eloquently defends the doctrine of common grace, the idea that even though non-believers do not participate in God's saving grace, they do participate in a form God's grace that is common to all of humanity. Christians do not have a monopoly on truth, beauty and artistry. The eternal state of one's soul is not a litmus test for great ideas, great art or even great friends. Not only does God shine in all things bright and beautiful (now I'm mixing my hymn lyrics), I would contend that He also shines in all that is just, another meaning of the word "fair." When fairness, wholeness and justice are restored to the world's brokenness and dysfunction, we catch a glimpse of the Kingdom.

Verse 3:
This is my Father’s world- O let me ne’er forget
That though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the ruler yet.
This is my Father’s world! The battle is not done;
Jesus Who died shall be satisfied, And earth and heav’n be one.


"Though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the ruler yet" This is my favorite line of the entire hymn. The world is dark place characterized by greed, superficiality, oppression and violence. Yet, it still belongs to God. It's still His world and it's not beyond redemption. Despite child slavery, genocide, tsunamis, famine and war, He is the ruler yet. Psalm 24:1 says, "The earth is the LORD's, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it." The problem of pain is not a riddle to be solved or an equation to be balanced. Christ Himself promised trouble and affliction for those who sojourn on the path leading to His cross. But by that same cross, Christ has overcome the world.

Although most hymnals only contain three verses for this hymn, I was excited to find (thanks to the Internet) several additional stanzas that are rarely sung. I shall end my reflections by giving way to their words...

Verse 4:
This is my Father’s world, dreaming, I see His face.
I ope my eyes, and in glad surprise cry, “The Lord is in this place.”
This is my Father’s world! From the shining courts above;
The Beloved One, His Only Son, came- a pledge of deathless love.


Verse 5:
This is my Father’s world- Should my heart be ever sad?
The lord is King- let the heavens ring. God reigns- let the earth be glad.
This is my Father’s world! Now closer to heaven bound,
For dear to God is the earth Christ trod. No place but is holy ground.

Verse 6:
This is my Father’s world- I walk a desert lone.
In a bush ablaze to my wondering gaze, God makes His glory known.
This is my Father’s world! A wanderer I may roam
Whate’er my lot, it matters not, my heart is still at home.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

New verses recently submitted
to the Public Domain:

This is My Father's World

This is my Father's world.
His shepherd still is near.
The sovereign Son
Of salvation
Was born on earth one year.

This is my Father's world
And sentimental shrine,
For on this one
In ten million
Was raised a child divine.

This is my Father's world.
Where River Jordan flowed,
Proclaimed His Son,
“My hour has come!”
And angels’ praise outflowed.

This is my Father's world,
Where Jesus taught mankind
In Galilee
To “Follow me”,
A path which now is mine.

This is my Father's world,
The cradle of my birth.
My soul will last
Since Jesus cast
His Light upon the earth.

This is my Father's world.
Upon this sphere of time,
His Son has sown,
The garden’s grown.
Its beauty now is mine.

This is my Father's world.
And on this day sincere,
The angels sing
Their sweet blessing,
The music of our sphere.

Anonymous said...

A Ceremony of Dedication

These new verses for the hymn, “This is My Father’s World”, were written for a cake lighting ceremony to be performed on Jesus' birthday. The symbolism of the ceremony appeals to both children and adults. And the ceremony is already promising memorable symbolism when observed on special occasions throughout the year.

In revising the symbolism of traditional candles, ‘years of age’ is replaced by a new perspective: each candle reflects the participant’s year of dedication to Jesus' invitation to "Follow Me". The candle might also represent one’s desire to live such a life during the year.

The Ceremony

A young volunteer reads the following quotes from Jesus’ early ministry. Although Jesus was speaking to certain apostles then, he would now greet every one of his children the same way … and offer them the same invitation. After reading, the volunteer leads the procession (described after “Follow Me”) to place candles on the cake:

Jesus warmly greeted his apostles, and “laying a hand on the shoulder of each of them, said: ‘My brethren, you were already with me in the spirit of the kingdom, even before these others made request to be received. You, my brethren, have no need to make request for entrance into the kingdom; you have been with me in the kingdom from the beginning.

Before men, others may take precedence over you, but in my heart did I also number you in the councils of the kingdom, even before you thought to make this request of me. And even so might you have been first before men had you not been absent, engaged in a well-intentioned but self-appointed task of seeking for one who was not lost.

In the coming kingdom, be not mindful of those things which foster your anxiety but rather at all times concern yourselves only with doing the will of the Father who is in heaven.’”

“And Jesus said, ‘Follow Me.’”


Each participant, in quiet procession, walks up to the decorated cake, selects a candle from a basket and places it upright on the cake, then returns to their seat. When all of the candles (one per participant) have been placed, a volunteer or two lights the candles. The symbolism of the procession is touchingly embellished when the participants are invited to wear sandals.

When all of the candles have been lighted, the group sings "This is My Father's World", singing the new verses and being accompanied by recorded or live music. A fading of the music during the 4th verse allows the singing to become "a cappella" ... and provides symbolic emphasis on one’s personal commitment to follow our divine shepherd.

This simple, yet powerfully symbolic ceremony of dedication, ends with a few moments of quiet reflection on the lighted cake, on this unique experience and on one’s personal commitment. A replaying of the music might announce the end of the ceremony.

Anonymous said...

The last stanza should be:

This is my Father’s world.
Light of Life high above
Entwines our hearts
Till we depart
his universe of love.

This is my Father's world.
And on this day sincere,
The angels sing
Their sweet blessing,
The music of our sphere.

Anonymous said...

In these new verses, paired below as stanzas, ...

- "His" refers to God; "his" refers to Jesus.
- "ten million" refers to the countless planets.
- "depart" refers to our journey to Paradise.
- "Light of Life" refers to Jesus.


~~~ This is My Father's World ~~~


This is my Father's world. His shepherd watches near -
The sovereign Son, of salvation, was born on earth one year.

This is my Father's world, and sentimental shrine,
For on this one, in ten million, was raised a child divine.


This is my Father's world. Where River Jordan flowed,
Proclaimed the Son, “My hour has come!”, and angels’ praise outflowed.

This is my Father's world, where Jesus taught mankind
In Galilee, to “Follow me”, a path which now is mine.


This is my Father's world, the cradle of my birth.
My soul will last, since Jesus cast, His Light upon the earth.

This is my Father's world. Upon this sphere of time
His Son has sown, the garden’s grown. Its beauty now is mine.


This is my Father’s world. Light of Life from above
Entwines our hearts, till we depart, his universe of love.

This is my Father's world. And on this day sincere
The angels sing, their sweet blessing, the music of our sphere.

~~~

Anonymous said...

The Ceremony concludes with the participants reading aloud this inspiration:

Gardens of Spiritual Progress

Inspired by the life and ministry
of the Son of Man, and his revelation
of the Fatherhood of God
and Brotherhood of All,
we are guided by a new revelation
of loving ministry and social service,
and unite to reveal the living truth
of a spiritual universe,
for we are the caretakers
of the gardens of spiritual progress.
.